Electrical Design Engineer
JOB TITLE: Electrical Design Engineer
REPORTS TO: Operations/Projects Director
LOCATION: Allenwest Ltd, Shawfarm Ind Est, Prestwick
The position is responsible for the design and documentation of products with the major objectives to provide designs, equipment specification, bill of materials, drawings etc in accordance with relevant documentation and standards, co-ordinate design issues, quality, specification and legislative requirements. Additionally supporting Sales and Contracts Departments ensuring that customer specification requirements are met within the Allenwest standards. Participate in and initiate the development of existing and new products, systems and standards. Participate in and initiate design review meetings and to train and develop staff, including Apprentices and Trainee Engineers.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main responsibilities of an Electrical Design Engineer include:
- To ensure the safe and efficient engineering design and documentation of customer orders for both Flameproof & Non-Flameproof switchgear primary for use in Mining & Petrol-Chemical environments.
- Provide technical support and design initiative to assist the contracts and sales team.
- Participate in order reviews, design reviews and job closure meetings to ensure the continual improvement of the design quality.
- Preparation of associated works packages, risk assessments, test procedures and associated documentation in accordance with contract and company specifications, statutory requirements and quality systems.
- Preparation of certification drawings and documentation for ATEX, IEC and overseas certification (MA, GOSTNII, DGMS etc.)
- Provide technical support and design initiative for Allenwest products.
- Review allocated jobs in progress & report on design-quality and project budgets.
- Assist in project managing contracts with support of Operations/Projects Manager.
- Assist in supervision of Design & Trainee Engineers
- Participate in project meetings as required and act as the Company representative in all matters associated with the assigned contract, including managing contract variations, extensions of time, and associated contractual commercial requirements.
- Provide guidance, planning assistance and relevant design and project related information on time to the respective internal department supervisors/managers and design engineers
- Perform calculations and carry out preliminary designs for quotation processes.
- Ensure correct maintenance of files in accordance with quality system and customer specifications.
- Liaise with the client to obtain all relevant information in a timely manner. Attending project and site meetings to assist with contract design, variation, extension of time and associated issues.
- Assist in planning, co-ordination, performing and documenting equipment installation, testing, commissioning and training.
- Assist in and document testing, commissioning and training on products and systems to achieve the highest standard of site service.
- Ensure all holidays planned are in-line with team to ensure no more than 25% of the team are off at any one time and this does not affect contract obligations.
- Ensure timesheets are updated on the system daily, with details updated accurately. Ensure timesheets are uploaded before departing off-site or on holiday.
- Upholds the company core values
- Promotes and encourages a positive workplace culture and quality work ethic
- Support the Company in all Health & Safety matters, Risk assessments and Safe systems of work.
- Demonstrates a relentless positivity and drive to get things done
- Achieves excellence in all areas of responsibilities
- Reinforces a team approach and collaborative leadership style
- Communicates clearly and participates positively in team meetings and briefs
- Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organisation
- Enforces policies and procedures as per our commitment to Health & Safety, Quality & Environmental standards
- Carry out other reasonable duties as requested
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICIATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Able to work under own initiative with minimum supervision
- Willing to embrace change
- Good Communicator
- Team Player
- Well Organised
- Safety Focussed